May 24, 2013

Incident on Pakistani Plane Landing in UK


Essex Police:

Essex Police has boarded a passenger plane diverted to Stansted Airport and two men have been arrested on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft.

They have been removed from the plane.
Police and partners are continuing to respond

A further update will be released as soon as possible.

Update by SH: The two arrested are British Nationals
The two men, who are aged 30 and 41 and are British nationals, were then arrested on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft.

They were then removed from the plane and taken to waiting police vehicles before onward transport to a police station where they will remain in custody pending interview by detectives.

The rest of the passengers have been allowed to disembark the plane under police escort. They have been placed on airport coaches and have been taken to the terminal building for debriefing.

The plane will remain at its current location and will be subject to forensic examination by specialist officers.

At this point in time no suspicious items have been recovered.

This incident is being treated as a criminal offence and remains under the direction of Essex Police.

Update II by SH: The perps tried to get into the cockpit:
Two Typhoon fighter jets raced through the skies to meet the Pakistan International Airlines plane following reports two men ‘tried to get into the cockpit’[...]

For more than three decades, Stansted has been the designated airport for hijacks and major security incidents, with a remote area known as Compass Base set aside far from the main terminal.

As soon as the plane landed armed police swarmed aboard and removed two men. They were named by PIA officials as Umera Ashraf and Mohammad Shafqat, British citizens of Pakistani origin who had been occupying economy class seats 61J and 61H.

It was just a misunderstanding is all
Amid the confused picture of what had happened on board, another version of events emerged last night.

A Pakistani journalist, Murtaza Ali Shah, who has spoken to a friend on board the plane, Fakhir Iqbal, said: ‘Two guys started a row with a girl and lots of other people. Some people tried to calm them and asked them not to be rowdy and abusive. Fakhir told them to calm down. They said, “Don’t bloody speak to us or we will blow up the plane”.

‘The crew came and spoke to them and they were openly threatening the staff. Fakhir went to other crew members and told them they were making threats.’

Nothing to see here, move along.

By Howie at 09:02 AM | Comments |