April 07, 2006

Three Christians Await Execution in Indonesia

If these guys are guilty of involvement in a massacre that killed over 200--mostly women and children, let me volunteer my services for the firing squad. However, the Indonesian court system is based on Islamic law and, as we have noted here on several occasions, is a complete sham. Not a single Muslim has been brought to justice for the killing of Christians during the same period--even though far more Christians were killed in the sectarian violence than Muslims. Not. A. Single. One.

Dog Pundit has more.


VOA:

Three Christian militants sentenced to death for killing Muslims during sectarian violence that shook Indonesia's Sulawesi island six years ago may be executed this month. Supporters of the three men say they are not guilty, and are being used as scapegoats.

The three Indonesian Catholic men, Fabianus Tibo, Dominggus de Silva and Marinus Riwu, were convicted of killing Muslims during Muslim-Christian clashes in the central Sulawesi town of Poso in 2000.

The men have exhausted most avenues to stop their execution, two higher courts and President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono have rejected their appeals.

But the chief attorney for the three men, Stefanus Roy Rening, says they are still waiting for a reply from Mr. Yudhoyono on a second clemency appeal, filed last month.

He says all three men are innocent and being used as scapegoats in an unfair justice system. He also says the three are not the masterminds of the Poso violence, which is why they should not be executed.

The men are convicted of a massacre of more than 200 unarmed people, mostly women, children and students, who were shot and hacked to death while hiding in a Muslim school. It was one of the worst incidents in the clashes between Muslims and Christians that claimed more than 1,000 lives.

But the three deny being at the scene of the killings, and police are investigating 16 other men as the real masterminds of the massacre.

By Rusty Shackleford, Ph.D. at 09:15 AM | Comments |